BMT Wins Prestigious Engineering Excellence Award
The Queensland Division of the Australian Engineering Excellence Awards 2018 has recognised BMT and Aurecon, with the prestigious RJ Hawken Award for their work on the Brisbane River Catchment Flood Study.
Phil Haines, Regional Managing Director, Environment at BMT, said: “The Brisbane River Catchment Flood Study is a global benchmark for contemporary hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, and is based on BMT’s internationally recognised flood modelling software, TUFLOW.
It’s now being used to help manage flood risks across the Brisbane River floodplain, which is one of the most hazardous and one of the most developed in Australia. This award is very well deserved and testament to the innovation and ingenuity of the team involved.”
The Awards Night, held every two years by Engineers Australia, recognises the State’s engineers’ outstanding achievements in their various fields and the invaluable contribution and legacy their projects leave on the economy, community and the environment.
The State’s top projects across the various engineering sectors are decided on several factors, including:
- The actual or potential contribution of the work to the economy,
- Impact of the work on the quality of life of the relevant communities,
- The significance of work as a benchmark of Australian Engineering,
- The extent to which the work represents world best practice, and
- Other considerations, including environmental impacts, sustainability and work health and safety aspects
The awards were hotly contended by 31 finalists, which were judged by a panel of 12 local practicing and retired engineers and fronted by Chief Judge, Cliff Button.
The project has now been put forward as a finalist in the Australian Engineering Excellence Awards (2018), which will be announced on the 18th September.