The movement of sediment, sand and rocks – or scour – caused by waves and currents can compromise the integrity of offshore structures. At BMT Ship & Coastal Dynamics we are experts at assessing the potential impact of scour on seabed foundations and designing scour protection systems that can be quickly and easily installed.
Our services can be applied to:
- Wind farms and other offshore structures
- Seabed mobility studies to ensure stable structures
- Predicting scour around offshore structures, particularly monopole foundations for wind turbines and around
- Designing scour protection for gravity-based structures and monopoles
- Seabed monitoring programmes to satisfy authority requirements
Our initial designs for scour protection systems are generally based on experience with similar structures, both in scale model tests and in the field. We recommend optimising these designs in scale model tests at a suitable hydraulic institute. Our rock protection designs incorporate static and dynamic stability. Taking a dynamic approach allows the rock protection to be placed via a fall pipe, limiting the risk of damage and speeding up installation.
Scour protection can:
- Prolong the life cycle of a structure
- Reduce the damage caused by extreme weather conditions
- Provide long-term safeguards
- Save on maintenance costs and time