Click here to view the full demonstration.
With their extensive knowledge of different mooring systems, the team at BMT Ship & Coastal Dynamics can quickly identify the right analysis tool for predicting the motions and loads for any given berth. They combine practical knowledge with a thorough understanding of the physics behind each model to identify optimum operability and feasibility.
Each berth has particular challenges. These range from long-wave resonance problems to optimising the available mooring and passing ship criteria. Before beginning the analysis BMT first maps out a terminal’s requirements and boundary conditions. A numerical analysis of the ship’s behaviour identifies any limiting conditions, pinpointing and assessing the weakest link.
Detailed numerical modelling has supported:
- Mooring design and operability assessment studies for LNG terminals
- Improvement of up-time for coal barges in exposed locations by using spread mooring systems and a fixed drop-loader
- Defining limiting wave penetration in a port in line with breakwater requirements
- Assessment of line failure events at LNG terminals behind detached breakwaters
- Specification for passing ship regulations (speed and distances) to safeguard moored ships
- Hydrodynamic loads under tsunami impacts on vessels in sheltered areas
In addition to providing information to support economic feasibility decisions, BMT can also enhance layout optimisation by suggesting more attractive mooring alternatives and terminal improvements.
The models we use in port and terminal planning and design, and for analysing areas of failure, include:
- ANSYS AQWA - a state-of-the-art 6 degree of freedom hydrodynamic and time domain mooring package
- REMBRANDT DMA (Dynamic Mooring Analysis) - a BMT moorings software for assessing the way vessels react to different environmental conditions
- OPTIMOOR - allowing for fast project time and quick feasibility assessments
- Desk-studies for conceptual tests and practical judgement
These models are easily linked with our metocean services for any location in the world.